Information for Authors
BIRDEM MEDICAL JOURNAL agrees to accept
manuscript prepared in accordance with the ĎUniform
Requirements Submitted to the Biomedical Journalsí Published
in the New England Journal of Medicine 1991;324: 424-8.
Aims and scope:
BIRDEM is going to publish 6 monthly journal based in clinical
and laboratory based research in medical and allied science. It
will try to feature the best clinical and laboratory based research
on various disciplines of medical science for medical scientists
to share experiences which will help others to render better
patient care. Conditions for submission of manuscript:
- All manuscripts are subject to peer-review.
- Manuscripts are received with the understanding that they
are not under simultaneous consideration by any other
- Submission of a manuscript for publication implies the
transfer of the copyright from the author to the publisher
upon acceptance. Accepted manuscripts become the
permanent property of reproduced by any means in whole
or in part without the written consent of the publisher.
- It is the authorís responsibility to obtain permission to
reproduce illustrations, tables etc. from other publication.
- Any manuscript that includes table, illustration or
photograph that have been published earlier should
accompany a letter of permission for re-publication from
the author(s) of the publication and editor/publisher of the
Journal where it was published earlier.
- Permission of the patients and/or their families to reproduce
photographs of the patients where identity is not disguised
should be sent with the manuscript.
Preparation of manuscript:
a) Manuscript should be written in English and type on one
side of A4 size white paper.
b) Double spacing should be used throughout.
c) Margin should be 5 cm for the header and 2.5 cm for the
d) Style should be that of modified Vancouver.
e) Each of the following section should begin on separate
- Title page
- Tables and legends
|f) Pages should be numbered consecutively at the lower right
hand cover of each page beginning with the title page
|The title page should contain:
- Title of the article (should be concise, informative and selfexplanatory)
- Name of each author with highest academic degree
- Name of the department and institute where the work was
- Name and address of the author to whom correspondence
regarding manuscript to be made.
- Name and address of the author to whom request for reprint
should be addressed Summary/Abstract:
|The summary/abstract of the manuscript:
- Should be informative
- Should be limited to less than 200 words
- Should be suitable for use by abstracting journals and
include data on the problem, materials and method, results
- Should emphasize mainly on new and important aspects
of the study
- Should contain only approved abbreviations
- Nature and purpose of the study
- Rationale of the study/observation
- Strictly pertinent references
- Brief review of the subject except excepting data and conclusion
|Materials and method:
Should be very clear and describe:
- The selection criteria of the study population including
controls (if, any)
- The methods and the apparatus used in the research.
- The procedure of the study in such a detail so that other
worker can reproduce the results.
- Previously published methods (if applicable) with
- Presented in Logical sequence in the text, tables and
- Described without comment
- Supplemented by concise textual description of the data
presented in table and figures where it is necessary
|Following principles should be followed:
- Tables should be simple, self-explanatory and supplement,
not duplicate the text
- Each table should have a title and typed in double space in
- They should be numbered consecutively with roman
numerical in order of text. Page number should be in the
lower right corner.
- If abbreviations are to be used, they should be explained
- All illustrations must be numbered and cited in the text.
- Print photograph of each illustration should be submitted
- Figure number, title of manuscript, name of corresponding
author and arrow indicating the top should be typed on a
sticky label and affixed on the back of each illustration.
- Original drawings, graphs, charts and letters should be
prepared on an illustration board or high grade white
drawing paper by an experienced medical illustrator.
Figures and photographs:
- Should be use only where data cannot be expressed in any
- Soul be on mounted glossy print in sharp focus, 12.7 x
17.3 ems in size
- Should bear number, title of manuscript, name of
corresponding author and arrow indicating the top on a
sticky table and affixed on the back of each illustration.
- Must be typed in a separate sheet of paper.
- Photomicrographs should indicate the magnification,
internal scale and the method of staining.
- All scientific units should be expressed in System
International (Sl) units.
- All drugs should be mentioned in their generic form. The
commercial name may however be used within brackets.
The discussion section should reflect:
- The authors’ comment on the results and to relate them to
those of other authors.
- The relevance to experimental research or clinical practice.
- Well-founded arguments
This section of the manuscript
- Should be numbered consecutively in the order in which
they are mentioned in the text.
- Should be identified in the text by superscript in Arabic
- Should use the form of references adopted by US National
Library of Medicine and used in Index Medicine and used
in Index medicns.
Individuals, organizations or bodies may be acknowledged
in the article and may include:
- Name (or a list) of funding bodies.
- Name of the organization(s) and individual(s) with their consent.
Manuscript should be submitted to the Executive Editor and must
be accompanied by a covering letter and following inclusions:
a) A statement that the manuscript has been read, approved
and signed by all author.
b) If the article is a whole or part of the dissertation or thesis
submitted for diploma/degree, it should be mentioned in
detail. In this case the name of the investigator and guide
must be specifically mentioned.
Submissions must be in triplicates with four sets of
illustrations. Text must be additionally submitted in a CD.
Editing and peer review:
All submitted manuscripts are subject to scrutiny by the Editor
in-chief or any member of the Editorial Board. Manuscrips
containing materials without sufficient scientific value and
of a priority issue, or not fulfilling the requirement for
publication may be rejected or it may be sent back to the
author(s) for resubmission with necessary modifications to
suit one of the submissions with necessary modifications to
suit one of the submission categories. Manuscripts fulfilling
the requirements and found suitable for consideration are sent
for peer review. Articles found suitable for publication by the
reviewer, may need revision/modifications before being finally
accepted. Editorial Board finally decides upon the
publishability of the reviewed and revision/modifications
submission. Proof of accepted manuscript may be sent to the
author, and should be corrected and sent to the editorial office
within one week. All accepted manuscripts are edited
according to the journalís style.
Reprints for the author(s):
Copies of each published article will be provided to the
corresponding author free of cost.
Additional reprints may be obtained by prior request.
Communication for manuscript submission:
Communication information for all correspondence is always
printed in the title page of the journal. Any additional information
or any other inquiry relating to submission of the article the
Executive Editor or the Journal office may be contacted.
No part of the materials published in this journal may be
reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any
form or by any means electronic, mechanical, photocopying,
recording or otherwise without the prior written permission
of the publisher
Reprints of any article in the Journal will be available from
Local BDT 200/-
Overseas $ 20/-
Should be sent to:
BIRDEM Medical Journal
BIRDEM, Room No. 1116
122, Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue,